Home Ask The Dentist Medicaid Polls Procedure Descriptions FAQ's Consultants Schools Directories Research


Dental Health Directory Library

FAQ:  Special Needs Dentistry

My brother suffers with cerbral palsey and the use of a papoose is needed for dental work as a result of his condition.

Can you tell me what that is and where can I see a picture of it? ...Visitor from NY

I am sorry to hear about your brother having Cerebral Palsy, with his condition he may be making unwanted movements involentarly. This would cause a potential hazzard during any operation and with the fine percision work that is needed in dentistry, because the area being worked on is not stable.

A papoose board is some thing that straps around a person and restricts their movements from head to the toe. It gets it's name from how the American Indians, who would carry their young in a tight sack strapped to their chest. It is also similar to the board in what may be seen at a car accident when the paramedics are removeing the person from a car with a possible fractured neck.

Although this may seem harsh, I assure you that the potential of a harmful accident is being avoided.

Editorial Staff

Return to Special Needs FAQ

Return to FAQ Index

You also have the option of using Google search technology to conduct a specific search within our databases to find more specific information. Adjust search terms as needed to refine search results:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

[Home]   [Ask The Dentist]   [FAQ's]   [Polls]   [Consultants]   [Directories]   [Articles]  
Contact the Editor
Technical Treatment Protocol Diagnosis Error Assessment
Free No Cost Dentist Advice
Featured in
Part of the Dental Network
Health Issues in Dentistry
Special Needs Dentistry
All rights reserved - 1999-2016
Powered by DentMedHost
Dental Pros and Cons

Free Dentistry
Bad Teeth Gums Gallery