Home Ask The Dentist Medicaid Polls Procedure Descriptions FAQ's Consultants Schools Directories Research


Dental Health Directory Library

FAQ:  Implants

New Non Invasive Dental Implants
No Gag Implant Palateless Denture

Cantilevered Implant Bridges
Failed Implant Pictures
Bone Grafts FAQ
Procedure Description
Causes of Failure
Best Osseointegration
Implant Periodontists
New! - All Zirconia Implant Devices
Who should do my Implants?
Immediate Load Procedure
Computer Guided
Subperiosteal for Poor Bone
International Research
Implant Dentists

Procedure Videos
Low Cost One Hour Implants for Lower Denture
One Day Full Mouth Implant Reconstruction
Failed Implants - Removal Surgery
Preventing Implant Failure
Immediate Load (Same Day) Surgery
Immediate Load: Temporary Crown
Bone - Tissue Grafting Surgery

Dental Implants Ask The Periodontist Edward Brant Question:
I have several implants in my upper mouth. They were placed by two different doctors.

On the upper left side of my face I have had pain which has gradually worsened with no relief. I can pinpoint two general areas which make it worse. To bite on that side is very painful.

I was diagnosed with MS two years ago, have had all sorts of test, including a dental scan, but cannot definitively find the cause of pain. The pain is to the point I take pain medicine.

Is there any chance this pain could be from implant problems or something else dental related? ... Visitor from NY

There is a reasonable chance that the cause of your pain is of dental or dental implant origin. Pain is the way your body is telling you something is wrong.

A proper and thorough evaluation is required to get to the bottom of your problem. Individual x-rays of your implants and a CT scan of your entire upper jaw would be a good start. A clinical exam needs to be performed by a dental specialist who has placed numerous implants and is experienced in diagnosing problems around implants.

The scan that you have is only as good as the person reading it and sometimes the resolution is not adequate to detect small areas of inflammation. You did not mention what type of scan you had; a medical grade CAT scanner or an office based CT scan.

It is my experience that my CT scanner provides a sharper image than the medical grade scan images patients still bring me. If you did not get an office based CT scan performed I would suggest you doing so. This image should be read by an oral radiologist or dental specialist who is experienced in reading these images.

My advice is to keep searching for a specialist who has a CT scanner and is experienced in diagnosing problems related to implants.

Edward Brant, DDS, MS
Reconstructive Periodontist
447 Lake Avenue
St James, NY 11780
(631) 584-4395

Return to Implants FAQ

Return to FAQ Index

You also have the option of using Google search technology to conduct a specific search within our databases to find more specific information. Adjust search terms as needed to refine search results:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

[Home]   [Ask The Dentist]   [FAQ's]   [Polls]   [Consultants]   [Directories]   [Articles]  
Contact the Editor
Technical Treatment Protocol Diagnosis Error Assessment
Free No Cost Dentist Advice
Featured in
Part of the Dental Network
Health Issues in Dentistry
Dental Implants FAQ
All rights reserved - 1999-2016
Powered by DentMedHost
Dental Pros and Cons

Free Dentistry
Bad Teeth Gums Gallery