- Teeth Whitening and Celiac Disease: I am a 49 year old female. I just recently found out that I have Celiac Disease. My teeth are a grayish yellow and almost see thru. Is there any kind of teeth whietning that will work to make my teeth whiter? ...Visitor from NY (answer)
- Stubborn yellow tooth stain due to early trauma: When I was a child I knocked one of my baby teeth into my gums as my adult teeth were developing, resulting in staining of my adult tooth. I now have one front tooth which is stained a yellowish color and when I use whitening toothpaste only my other teeth whiten. I am afraid to use a whitening compound due to it only staining my other teeth, with the stained tooth remaining yellow. If I were to receive a professional whitening or if I were to use a product such as whitestrips, would my stained tooth become white? ...Visitor from Ontario Canada (answer)
- Effect of 35% Carbamide peroxide on gums: I have just purchased some tooth whitening gel from the internet which is 35% Carbamide Peroxide. I have tried it once but seconds after putting the gel on my teeth, my gums turned completely white and felt a burning sensation. I was too frightened to leave the gel on for the suggested 10 minutes. After about 15 minutes after I removed the gel, the colour returned to my gums. Was the whitening damaging my gums? ...Visitor from Staffordshire, England UK (answer)
- Whitening of Bonded Teeth: Because my son has flourosis, his teeth were bonded about ten
years ago. Now they are yellowed, how can he get them whitened? ...Visitor from IL (answer)
- Crest White strips caused greying! I am 45 and my teeth and gums are in good condition, but yellowed from coffee, tea, etc. I tried Crest white strips this AM for only 20 minutes. To my horror they caused greying of the teeth, or what looks like they took away some enamel, leaving the tooth almost "see-through". Have you ever heard of this or what could cause it? ...Visitor from CA (answer)
- In-office Whitening: I had my teeth whiter in office about 3 months ago and the dentist used etching before the whitening gel. My teeth got very white and also sensitive but the worst thing is that my teeth are porous and I had to stop drinking coffee and wine because every night they got full of black stains. The dentist polished them but it helped just a little. I never had any problem in my teeth and I'd not recomend in office bleaching because after that my teeth are easier to stain. I think it was the etching gel for a long time. Is there anything I could do to have my healthy enamel back? ...Visitor from CA (answer)
- Calcium Deposits from Braces: My son wore braces, and when they were removed he had white
spots on the front teeth near the top. I call them calcium deposits. What is the most effective way to get rid of it. We have tried whitening them and the white spots just got more visible. ...Visitor from AL (answer)
- Teeth Whitening for Dentures When I got my dentures they suggested I get the "natural" look... not totally white. The problem is that over the years they became more comfortable and more like part of me. They became very yellowish even though I use name brand denture tabs every night to clean them....
1. Is there a way to eliminate the yellowish look?
2. Can a toothpaste whitener be used?
3. Can I add some clorox bleach when I clean them?
4. Can I put those whitener strips on them?
My dentures are really comfortable and need no adheasive... they just look really nasty and unclean. ... Visitor from TN (answer)
- Trigeminal Neuralgia: While bleaching my teeth with the trays provided by my dentist, I suddenly experienced a sudden shock-like jolt up one of my top teeth into my gum area that lasted about 3 seconds. I immediately removed the tray and have not bleached since. Since then I continue to get these shock-like jolts about 4 - 5 times a day at random times. Could a nerve have been damaged while bleaching, thus resulting in TN? Neither my dentist nor a rootcanal specialist have an answer for me. ...Visitor from CA (answer)
- Teeth Whitening for children? Hello, my daughter is nine, she will be 10 in August. She had braces on for one year and just got them off. She will need them again in a couple of years or so, the dentist tells me. I take her every six months to get them cleaned. She brushes them 3 times a day and has never had a cavity. They look nice , but the teeth have spots and look yellowish. I spent all the money to get them straight and now I want to get them white but no dentist in town will do this for children. I am willing to go to Pittsburg if need be. How can I get my childs teeth white, I do not care of the cost. Of course I do not want to do something that can hurt her teeth.
Thank You. ...Visitor from PA (answer)
- Doxycycline causes tooth stains? I know that if children take doxycycline that it can cause stains on their teeth. I am 24 and have been taking doxycyline for several months, and recently, I have developed dark spots on my front teeth. It's been awhile since I've been to a dentist, but I have excellent dental hygiene, and am usually told so by my dentist. Could the doxycycline be the cause of the stains on my teeth? ...Visitor from CA (answer)
- I recently whitened my teeth using 22% carbamide peroxide. I wore my custom fitted trays for three and a half hours. My gums seemed to have receded a little bit and they are dark purple and bloody around the edges of my gums where my teeth begin. What could have caused this and in such a short time? I had healthy gums and teeth prior to the whitening treatments. Visitor from PA (answer)
- I began using Crest Whitening Strips about a week ago. Since, I have noticed that my teeth and gums are VERY sore. Could this be a side effect of the strips or is there maybe another problem that I should have looked at? I have never had problems with my gums in the past. ...Visitor from WI (answer)
- Last August (2002) I went to a new dentist in my area. I went because they had a special to get a tooth whiteing kit free with some other work done. My teeth are whiter. I'm using the Smile Lite and the over the counter Plus+White oxygenating action with 100% more bleaching power. But my teeth are now super sensitive and hurt. They feel like when someone scrapes their nails on a black board. Is this normal for teeth to get whiter or is it something wrong with my teeth? Also, my crown on one side is not getting white like the rest of my own teeth. ...Visitor from MI (answer)
- Some dentists say veneers can be bleached or altered in colour. Is this right? How long will home bleaching take to get my teeth brilliant white
with dental bleach of 10% carbamide? ...Visitor from Grantham, Lincolnshire, England (answer)
- My husband and I are both in our late 40's and would like to have our teeth whitened. I see ads saying you can do them at home with a kit and not spend what it would cost at a dental office. Is it as safe and does it work as well? Or is it better to go to my dentist? ...Diana in MI (answer)
- Last August I had a 2 week course of teeth bleaching from my dentist which involved wearing mouth shields with gel at night. The results were amazing but only lasted for 4 months and then I noticed they were starting to darken again. There are also 2 small whiter patches on my front tooth which were not there before. I do not drink tea or coffee. What has happened and what can I do to get pure whie teeth? ...Susan in Edinburgh, UK (answer)
- I am very interested in having my teeth whitened. When I asked my dentist about this, he suggested that I do not have it done. He said that redheads (which I am) have more sensitive gums than anyone else. I have never heard this before. But, I still want to have the procedure done. Any suggestions? ...Leslie in OH
- The first thing I do in the morning is put a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in my mouth in the morning. Then I shave. Then I brush my teeth with toothpaste and the peroxide. I smoke and drink coffee. People ask me if I have had my teeth whitened. I am 54 years old. I was not born with beautifully white teeth. Am I nuts, or does this work? ...Leo in NY (answer)
- My husband has a removable bridge. They are his front teeth. He drinks lots of coffee and smokes alittle. They have gotten very yellow. We try to bleach them, but it really does not take the yellow out. What can we do about false teeth? ...Rene in NY (answer)
- What's the long term effect of teeth whitening on teeth? Does it make them more brittle? I'm asking because the people in my family live to be 100 yrs old. I figure it's better to have real yellow teeth than it is to have false teeth for a couple of decades. ...Dorothy (answer)
- Can I use the Crest whitening strips on my son's teeth, he is only 10 years old? ...Virginia in TN (answer)
- I was given tetracycline quite a bit as a child, and my teeth are VERY discolored as a result. In speaking with a dentist, he told me my only "real" solution would be crowns - he even shyed away from veeners, saying they were almost as expensive. I'm not sure I want to go through this expense, not to mention the trauma to my otherwise healthy teeth. Although I understand not much can be determined without an evaluation, I would like your opinions in this area. ...Jay in MA (answer)
- If I've had cosmetic bonding in the past and they are turning yellow, will applying the Crest strips damage that bonding? ...Kim in IA (answer)
- I had a couple cavities filled on my front teeth - top and bottom and the dentist put bonding on them to match the whiteness. Now I would like to have my teeth whitened, but my dentist said the bonding will not bleach while my teeth will. Will I have unsightly yellow bonding and white teeth? ...Kathy in MI (answer)
- I have heard that brusing with baking soda will whiten your teeth over time. Is this true? If so, how long will it take to see results? Are there any drawbacks to using this method? ...Jon in DC (answer)
- Would it be safe to simply swish with hydrogen peroxide two or three times per day for like two weeks, to whiten the teeth? Would this work? Or maybe it would make sense to weaken the strength of the hygdrogen peroxide with the appropriate amount of water first? ...Cheryl in MD (answer)
- Can you use a whitener if you have any type of gum disease? ...Linda in NC (answer)
- Would the whitening process react differently to dental work such as porcelain crowns, and colored fillings, causing an uneven appearance? ...Paul in RI (answer)
- I have several crowns. I want to use the Crest Whitening strips but I am concerned that the peroxide might disolve or damage the cement that is holding the crown. What is your opinion on this? ...Marie (answer)
- I had my four front teeth bonded because of my enamel wasting away not bad though just slightly. I have tried the trays, and even the Crest Whitestrips but the ingredients hurts my gums so bad I can't wear any of them. What would you suggest would be my next step to whiten the rest of my teeth? ...Kathy (answer)
- I have receding gums - Pariodontal problems. Will the Crest White Strips cause a problem to my gums. Will it be safe to use with this problem? ...Sharon (answer)
- I have been using hydrogen peroxide out of the bottle for years as part of my brushing routine. I'm 49, this seems to keep my teeth pretty white. Is this the same peroxide that is in these gel whitening products and will the peroxide hurt my teeth? I haven't swallowed it yet. ...Brenda (answer)
- I have porcelain crowns and some of my own teeth in front, top and bottom. When they were put in years ago they all matched in color. Now as I am getting older the colors of the crowns and natural teeth are discoloring. Will any whiteners work or, as I have been told my my dentist, will veneers have to be put on? ...Pat (answer)
- I have GERD and burning mouth syndrome and wonder if I am still a candidate for bleaching my yellow teeth? ...June (answer)
- Since the formula for whitening teeth is hydrogen peroxide, will using hydrogen peroxide at 69 cents per bottle work as well? If so how long should I keep it in my mouth? I have been using it occasionally for years as a mouthwash anyway. Am now 60 years old and would like my teeth whitened but cant afford even the $40 for the kit. ...Stephen (answer)
- Will Teeth Whitening help Eye-Teeth? Not so far: I whiten my teeth and this made the old 4 upper crowns in front look dingy. I recently had these replaced with new but the eye-teeth are somewhat grayer against my 4 new front upper crowns (temp placement). Probably tetracycline as a baby. Will whitening brighten these darker eye-teeth? I have been whitening the past year but the eye-teeth have not become as white as the other teeth. I am afraid to keep whitening as the new crowns may go dingy again. The difference looks like 2 holes in my head and 4 teeth only show. Should I have ceramics people match with eye-tooth color? At least I will appear to have all the teeth in my head. I am at a loss as what to do. ...Visitor from AK (answer)
- I recently used an at home teeth whitening kit that apparently is dental grade. I trimmed back the teeth trays to the gumline as recommended but after only a couple of uses (and minimal time each go). I was horrified to discover my gums have receded noticably!! I am so upset, please yell me - Will they grow back? Is this normal? and should I cease using the product? ...Visitor from Australia (answer)