Home Ask The Dentist Medicaid Polls Procedure Descriptions FAQ's Consultants Schools Directories Research


Dental Health Directory Library

FAQ:  Adult Orthodontics

Smart Alternative to Flossing Braces
Can I Use My Retainers Again?

Lost Retainer Treatment Option
Invisalign - Veneer Combination
Brace Pain and Hygiene Products
Which Age to Start?
Braces + Veneer Combo
Orthognathic Surgery Alternative
Orthodontist Directory
Underbite FAQ
Overbite FAQ
Braces FAQ
Foods to Avoid
Ice Invisible Brackets
Invisalign Candidates
Six Month Ortho
Failed Orthodontics
Become a Research Subject
Bite Occlusion Poll
Extraction Orthodontics
Childrens Ortho FAQ

Orthognathic Surgery Success - A Testimonial
Avoid Headgear and Extraction Ortho
3M Unitek Self Ligating Braces
Tooth Enamel White Spot Treatment
Lingual Braces
Myobrace: Non Metallic Ortho Braces
Orthodontic Treatment Procedures

Adult Orthodontics Ask The Dentist  Corinne Scalzitti Question:
Front Teeth Overlap: My four front teeth overlap the bottom teeth (they go about half way down) and they are splayed out.

I had braces about 5 years ago but I wasn't happy with the results so last year I had 4 veneers placed on the front teeth. Although they are much better I am still very unhappy with the way they point out of my mouth rather than downwards.

I went to see another orthodontist before I had my veneers and was told that my lower jaw was longer than my top one and that's why the teeth were like they are.

I am confused as the rest of the teeth are fine. Is there anyway that I can correct this without surgery? ....Visitor from Birmingham United Kingdom UK

I think you have had orthodontic treatment that was not completely successful, then veneers that don't look like you would hope they would.

The second orthodontist said that your lower jaw does not fit your upper jaw. I haven't seen your situation, but think that orthognathic surgery will be the only way for you to achieve the results you want.

This surgery would probably involve taking some bone from the lower jaw and sliding the jaw back so it will match the upper jaw. This is major surgery and needs absolute coordination between an orthodontist and an oral surgeon. It is also expensive, but is life-changing and can give you the result you are looking for.

I would advise you to find an orthodontist or an oral surgeon in whom you have a lot of faith. Ask whichever one you find to recommend the other specialist they work with for the best results. Then ask to see before and after photos of many cases that they have done.

I think you may be very impressed with the results they are able to achieve. Medical insurance may pay for at least part of this. And, most offices will have financing options.

You sound like you have put a lot of effort into this, and probably owe it to yourself to see how you could look and function if you had the surgery.

Corinne Scalzitti, DMD, MAGD

Return to Adult Orthodontics FAQ

Return to FAQ Index

You also have the option of using Google search technology to conduct a specific search within our databases to find more specific information. Adjust search terms as needed to refine search results:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

[Home]   [Ask The Dentist]   [FAQ's]   [Polls]   [Consultants]   [Directories]   [Articles]  
Contact the Editor
Technical Treatment Protocol Diagnosis Error Assessment
Free No Cost Dentist Advice
Featured in
Part of the Dental Network
Health Issues in Dentistry
Adult Orthodontics FAQ
All rights reserved - 1999-2016
Powered by DentMedHost
Dental Pros and Cons

Free Dentistry
Bad Teeth Gums Gallery